Most Common Teenage Slang Words [Updated
Slang is the informal teenage language that is more popular in speaking than in writing. It is the new way of speaking of the young that has been quite a trend for a few decades. It consists of a vocabulary often times unknown to the elders.The slang terms created by sometimes recycling the old words, making abbreviations or giving new meaning to the already existing words. Some of these slang examples have found their way into the English dictionaries. There are also dictionaries for slang language available online. This is the way languages are revolutionized. Who knows that the words we call slang today may become part of the regular English someday and may come into writing as well.
Here is a list of some most common slang words used everyday and also trending among teens nowadays. This may help the parents to decipher the foreign language of their teenagers and not be in a state of total disillusionment.
Teenage 2020 Slang Words New List:
- Sus: means suspect or suspicious.
- Fam: This slang is shorter form of word family. Mostly used represent close friends and family.
- Bruh: It is a slang to call bro or brother.
- Glow Up It means upgrade appearance to a better version and enhance looks.
- OG: it means original gangsta. But it is used for someone who is quite popular and famous among the group or at school. It is used in a positive way as a sign of respect.
- Throw shade: its meaning is quite opposite from its literal one. It means to disrespect someone.
- Jelly: it is to say “jealous.” not in a negative way but said as a compliment. It is quite outdated but still in.
- Bop It is typically used for good song like “jam.”
- Finna: it is a replacement for fixing to or going to.
- Roasted: this means to argue with someone verbally to the extent that they are somewhat defeated in your quick tongue battle.
- Lit: this means amazing or awesome, something that is exciting and wild.
- Thirst/ Thirsty It is to represent “wanting to have s**” Like: “Sara is so thirsty for Jack it’s weird.”
- Fierce When someone is looking so beautiful and powerful at the same time then this word is used to describe that feeling. Like “Oh my gosh Amy was so fierce in the concert”
- Thicc It is latest slang came up and used to describe people having bigger body parts that are bigger than usual. Normally describes someone’s b**ty.
- Get Lit It is used to say “party hard”.
- QQ It is used to express crying. To show sarcastic expression.
- Finsta This is slang for “Fake account of Instagram”.
- YAAAS: An overwhelming or excited way to say “YES”. Like OMG this pizza yaaas. Its amazing.
- Is That A Thing:This is a teen expression to confirm something is taking place. Like, I heard that john has started playing football again after retirement, is that a thing ?
- FAM JAM: Shorter form of family get together. We are having lil fam jam on coming weekend.
- Can I Get An Amen:It is and expression where teenagers ask for appreciation for what they have said or done.Means they are asking for good response on their awesome thing.
- Sorry But Not Sorry:It is used by teens when they don’t mean to say sorry.
- Killing It: Teens Love this phrase nowadays which means to express something doing awesome.
- TURNT: It means excited and having great time
Victorian Slang Terms:
- Gigglemug: It is to refer someone who is always smiling
- Sauce box: Victorian slang for mouth
- Got the morbs: It is to express temporary sadness
- Poked Up: It means embarrassed
- Tight as a boiled owl: To refer a drunk person
- B*tch the pot: It means pour the tea
So from this list and info graphics, Parents need to know the trends in 2020 for Teen Slang Terms to Keep an Eye on. Fun and Harmless Teenage Slang are good but hurtful and personality destructive slang phrases should be checked.
Adam Sandler and Idina Menzel challenge each other’s knowledge of teenage slang. From “bodega” to “yooz,” the stars of ‘Uncut Gems’ share some of their favorite hometown phrases.
“Hello we’re from New York City my name is Adam Sandler and yours is Anita.We are gonna teach you US teen slang.I don’t know how good we’re gonna do.Do you feel like you know what we were saying at all Anita ? Yeah I do. Oh well why do you do ? okay first one up is Oh Bodega about a guy like Adam Adam you got a hang-up about again but I’ll tell you. What but I’ve got God that’s good that’s good this is a store like that like a little grocery store right ? I call it a bodega yeah and you love it I got to tell you that. That wasn’t around when I was at, you know. And because it really doesn’t feel like a total oh yeah you’re right. There we go oh you know what that is me I should me oh god it’s me a cream cheese it’s not yet it should be but is this a real word in the dictionary it’s it’s like a pop Schmear ha ha Bridget tunnel which is what you are that I think that’s a little bit derogatory I think it’s fine. You do. Do you take a bridge to get to the city I need to take the tunnel the Midtown Tunnel you through the Midtown Tunnel but I feel like they sometimes refer to Bridge and Tunnel people a little bit they can be a little c-o-c-k-y attitude towards the bridge city.
yeah yeah no but you got a respect to Bridge and Tunnel from everybody oh well go on in the city oh yeah the city doesn’t want to do a whole thing on that. I don’t know you don’t care about other I don’t know if you’re in Long Island go to the city. Yes a big city how about this you’ve got to say on Long Island if that’s done that’s it Joe yeah this I don’t know what you do I never heard
that my life Beibei like oh god that’s what it is Oh God Oy Vey mere is Oh God in heaven isn’t it? I think so yeah are you vote okay Bob maybe that’s okay is that you – yes certainly doesn’t sound Irish all right.Pie a slice would have been worse yeah but that’s if you grew up with a lot of money we could all get a slice my family so let’s go to slice and that’s all we got. I’ll see you out on the stoop will place – Paul no I didn’t say Stoop that much. I mean I know what it is stupid no memory you said. I’ll do a movie with that I’m saying I’ll stoop down to that level. Hey use how he’s doing how he’s doing it’s just doing a YooZ onto a thing that’s if there’s a couple of guys around, you don’t want to shake its use not youths not like not like what Joe Pesci do youths. So all we’ve been there SOHO sets out the Houston. Yeah I lived there on Thompson and prints for a while you did that was where all the models always when I was really, no they really ran for the a year and a half I lived in their. Like let’s get out of here court Oh Bed-stuy that’s pepper stiverson and, I haven’t been there in a long time. I know that my friend Chris Rock used to live there as the village I lived there. You lived there ? yeah the village is Greenwich Village yeah Downtown 14th Street. Anything below 14th Street is now jump dude is 82 booting da Boa he’s like like I’m gonna be baking something Queens Brooklyn Queens Expressway said so much traffic. Whenever I did his head to the BQE to get some gigs. Yeah that’s a tough, it’s hot I broke down on the BQE old Underberg. Gotham got the Marne girl, I worked at that restaurant. Yeah I took reservation that’s good evening Gotham our own Grillo may I help you and then you just put them on home. SCHVITZ Sweating ? no that’s like a sieve that’s your own what is it it’s all juice and eat Alan really that’s the only yogurt – Ritz steel a wet fish yeah toilet and you take out what does not admit that okay that’s a shot this is yeah forget about it that’s right just forget about it yeah yeah oh yeah you Buggin but you’re running out by guys like you’re just freaking out no hey what’s up baby that’s before my time yeah but you’re cool with all the robbers I certainly ice we have to know what that is oh yeah I mean just admit this to the world that until recently I thought bumper-to-bumper traffic which is like Archie Bunker okay yeah was bumper-to-bumper traffic spell be um a da bumper da I totally thought this was city slang we know we did not do too well at this but I know deep in your heart while sitting in bumper-to-bumper the job that’s good.”
This slang trend has been there since the 80’s. Teens are always known to invent their own code words and phrases that have today become slang and later added in urban dictionary. Some are abbreviations like LOL or YOLO whereas others are small phrases that have very different meanings like ‘eat my shorts’ or ‘kill me’. These practices are how the languages are revolutionized and progress.[Wiki source]
Slang words are being updated so frequently and new words become popular in communication on daily basis,so it is better to get more updated info regarding slang ghetto words from online dictionary, slang dictionary , Merriam-Webster Dictionary , Slang word list and Oxford.
https://momydady.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, and we get a commission on purchases made through our links.