Teenage Mental Health Issues, Facts & Remedies
Depression is the most common issue that almost every teenager faced in his/her life.Its the main reason behind most of the mental disorders. So Its very critical to know about depression, anxiety so that necessary right actions can be taken for healthy lifestyle.
What is depression exactly?
Sadness, that exceeds to a level that can be understood as depression after diagnosis that is critical and affect the ability of teen to function properly. This illness is more common in the United States for a long term.
- Do you think your child is suffering from depression or a mental health problem?
- And because of this depression they use drugs and alcohols to overcome the depression?
Some thinks that it’s not a problem because he isn’t alone. Nowadays, many of the teens are suffering from mental illness problems. This mental health problem is mainly depressive disorders and extreme behavioral problems. The bad thing our society is what they are doing with these teenagers is they do not receive help for their disorders because they don’t think this a disorder.
But you don’t need to worry because there are several treatments for teens who are suffering from this disorder. There are a lot of many centers where your son or daughter can be treated and they can get their life back on the right path.
What are the main mental health disorders?
Here are some of the common mental health disorders:
- Antisocial disorder
- Oppositional defiant disorder (ODD)
- Other behavioral disorders
Teenage mental illness symptoms:
There are several mental illnesses from which you can notice that your son or daughter is under depression or not:
- Low self-esteem
- Mood swings
- No participation in extra activities
- Low level of energy
- No social circle
- Decline in grades
- Use of excessive drugs and alcohols
- Loss of interest in habits
- No more interest to fulfill his aim
- Changes in sleeping and eating habits
- Start hating his own family
- Anger and irritability
Teenage mental health facts:
- Depression that exceeds from the point of sadness to the point of illness which affects the ability of the victim to function properly.
- 20% of the teenagers are suffering from mental health illness by the time they become adults.
- Suffering from depression has not one cause but several factors like psychological, biological and environmental risk factors.
Biologically it affects the brain by reducing the level of neurotransmitter serotonin in the brain which decrease the size of some part of brain and increase the activity in the remaining part.
Psychological disorder includes low self-esteem, poor body posture, mood disorders, low immunity and other factors.
The environmental factors include sexual abuse, death of a beloved, victim of bullying etc.
- It is alarming if you notice general depression symptoms like having depressed mood more than two weeks.
- The third reason of teenager suicide is suffering from mental illness under the age of 10-24 in the United States.
- If you want to diagnose mental health illness you have to visit a health-care professional which may perform a routine a test, a medical or physical examine to diagnose.
- About half of the teenagers who are under depression cure from this disorder by taking antidepressants. It takes about 6 weeks to start feeling better after taking treatment.
- The disability of people over 5 years of age in United States is because of the depression.
Remedies of depression:
- If you want to help your teen to get out of depression, he will undergo with few psychotherapies which includes Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and dialectical behavior therapy (DBT). These therapies are very effective to help your teen get rid of negative thoughts and mental illness.
He will learn how to change his unhealthy behaviors.
- The other most important therapy is the involvement of family. Family therapy gives the teen to strengthens and heal quickly.
- The other one is recreational therapy which will teach your teen to engage in fun without thinking of the negative thoughts.